When looking for an article on guided reading, I struggled to find one specific article/website that encompassed all the information that I wanted it to. Instead I found a few that hit on key points and goals of guided reading. This article, http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4343, is a very basic run down of what guided reading is and the steps for carrying it out. I liked this because it gave a clean-cut description of how to carry out a guided reading lessons-definitely something that could be looked back on and used once I am teaching in my own classroom. http://www.msrossbec.com/literacy_index.html -This website belongs to Ms. Ross, who I believe is a first grade teacher. The guided reading web page is a link off of her classroom website (which can be accessed by clicked "home" on the side bar), I found this website to be very insightful. It gives an opportunity to see just home guided reading is implicated in an actual class. The sidebar link titled "FAQ" was very informative. I spent a great amount of time reading the different parts of this website, going back to the "home" portion and clicking other links as well. I found this to be encouraging and beneficial. I also looked over this website, http://www.four-blocks.com/greading.html -it provides resources to use during guided reading exercises. I felt that this would be a helpful resource when moving into the classroom setting. Many of the item on the site look as though they would be wonderful ways to engage students and assist them in guided reading.
Although I did not pick a traditional journal or article, I feel that I benefited greatly by searching for a journal or article on the topic of guided reading. I read many different articles and reviewed tons of websites set up by teachers! I am very impressed by the web of connected teachers sharing their successes and failures with other, I think this is a great way to grow and improve as a teacher.There are multiple discussion boards where teachers from across the nation use each other as sound boards, asking for feedback on what guided reading exercises worked for their classes and which didn't.
It sounds like you really found some interesting things as you searched for more information on guided reading. It really is great that the internet has allowed teachers to band together, per se, and gain support from one another.
ReplyDeleteI love the information you found on guided reading! Really great stuff! I will definitely refer back to what you found!
ReplyDelete